Monday, July 13, 2009

More Than Just a Hat Rack



Presently, I am completing a roleplay in which The Villain (that would be me) has lured a SuperHeroine into an erotic deathtrap, to wit: I am about to turn her into 100 lbs. (more or less) of fresh kibbles and bits. I thought I had planned it well, and the execution was generally pretty good (nothing ever comes off 100% the way you intend). But, as she lay (not-so) helplessly bound and gagged on my Conveyor Belt of Doom, the heroine demonstrated a glaring, almost embarrassing flaw in my plan. (It was the first time I had played with this Heroine. So, in keeping with my usual approach, I wanted to plant a couple of seeds which she could use to *germinate* her way out of the grisly fate I had planned for her. What she found, however, resulted from a simple oversight on my part.)


The point is that this is a Heroine who is well-known for using her wit, intelligence and (dare I say?) heroic humanity to extricate herself from all manner of predicaments. And, as it happens, sometimes, ... we Villains like it that way!


Now, I have nothing against a damsel who, when faced with her ultimate fate, searches in vain for her own way out. I can mercilessly gloat, twirl my moustache, and flourish my cape with the best of them when it comes to a poor, sobbing creature waiting helplessly for spinning wheels or slashing blades to end her miserable existence. But, there is something about a Victim who refuses to be a Victim: The lady who, despite all odds, manages to defeat a Bad Guy's best-laid plans for untold riches, world domination, or just plain ol' revenge. That would be the Damsel who uses her determination, as well as her head, to save the day.


A few months ago I re-acquired a cherished comic book panel of Mary Batson (Marvel Girl). She was about to squashed like an unpeeled grape at the hands of a Villain named the Owl, in the final panel of a comic story, which was (naturally) to be continued in the next issue. The situation looked hopeless; not knowing how the issue would be resolved, I assumed that there would be some kind of comic-book Deus ex Machina that would pull Mary out of harm's way.


Well, just a couple of days ago, I ran into the first few panels of what must be the next issue. Okay, maybe some of you guys had seen this before, but I hadn't, and I was impressed. Mary Batson recognized the mere sliver of an opportunity, seized upon it, and Shazam! (well, actually, that would come after she got the gag off, but, you know what I mean).


And, that, in turn, reminded me of one of my favorite clips from an old Italian movie, "Il Vecino di Casa", from 1973*. Readers of this blog would be familiar with this scene

http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj46/ripps429/?action=view&current=xmtIlAXsrfM.flv

where Laura Belli (Heroine) lies B&G while the Villain goes to prepare dirt-enclosed resting places for her and her boyfriend. I always admire the determination of Ms. Belli's character in practically willing herself across the floor to lock the Villain out of the house in an heroic attempt to save their lives. Again, the situation looked hopeless, and she could have spent five minutes on film sobbing helplessly into her gag (It probably would have sucked to look at, but she was bound and gagged, so I have to admit, I wouldn't have minded it).


But, as in the other cases mentioned above, the Heroine had an active mind, kept her wits about her, and used her spunk and determination to throw obstacles in the way, and in some cases defeat the Villain.



And, as The Bad Guy, I have to say (grudgingly), ... I kind of like that.




--- The 'evil' TRU




*NOTE: I've had the Italian clip so long that I've forgotten from where I obtained it originally. As with anything posted on this blog, I try to credit it. If you recognize where this came from, drop a line so that it can be properly acknowledged. If anything on here is yours, and you object, it will be deleted immediately upon request, no questions asked. -- The Management (er, that would be Me, again. *g*)


3 comments:

  1. Aww I just NOW read your comments. Thanks Upp. Miss chatting with you

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would disappoint you as a damsel. I would be the poor helpless, defenseless maiden who would struggle feebly against my bonds and whimper and sob pitifully beneath my gag while on the tracks or buzzsaw but I would know I’m too weak and frail to free myself and would await my fate while praying that a brave man would arrive to rescue me in the nick of time. I enjoy imagining that I need a hero to save me. But I’d enjoy you gloating (“No one can save you now, my fair damsel in distress! If I can’t have you no man can! Nyahaha!”), twirling your moustache, swirling your cape, and laughing at my plight while I whimpered and sobbed awaiting my hero, who would of course rescue me so you could capture and imperil me again later.

    ReplyDelete